Captivating the King (Korean: 세작, 매혹된 자들) is an upcoming South Korean television series starring Jo Jung-suk, Shin Se-kyung, and Lee Shin-young. It will be broadcast on tvN every Saturday and Sunday at 21:20 (KST), after premiering the first two episodes consecutively on January 21, 2024
DIRECTOR– Jo Nam-guk
WRITTEN BY– Kim Seon-deok
GENRE– Melodrama, periodic, Romance
COUNTRY– South Korea
RELEASE DATE– January 21, 2024
Credit: Netflix trailer youtube
The series depicts the cruel love story of Yi In, a miserable king who has no one around him that he can trust and is in danger of both royal and political power struggles, and Kang Hee-soo, who tries to deceive him for revenge but ends up falling in love with him.
Lee In (Cho Jung-Seok) is a prince. His older brother is King Lee Sun, who cares about him a lot. Vowing loyalty to his older brother, Lee In is taken hostage by the Qing Dynasty. King Lee Sun soon views his younger brother’s loyalty as betrayal and begins to hate him.
Lee In endures deep emotional pain because of this. Lee In then meets an unknown baduk player who wagers on her games. He is completely fascinated by the baduk player. Through circumstances, Lee In becomes the king. He holds the highest position and is a strong person, but he is sad and weak internally.
When Kang Hee-Soo (Shin Se-Kyung) was gaining fame as an unknown baduk player, she met Prince Lee In and fell in love with him. Through a vortex of fate, she becomes a spy. She approaches King Lee In to get her revenge
- Jo Jung-suk as Yi In:
- Kang Hee-soo: a woman who disguises herself as a man and becomes a spy to take revenge.
- Kang Mong-woo: a baduk player who later becomes Yi In’s close friend.
- Lee Shin-young as Kim Myung-ha:
- a nobleman who is good at both archery and swordsmanship
- Choi Dae-hoon as Yi Seon: Yi In’s older brother.
- Lee Gyu-hoe as Park Jong-hwan: Royal Queen Dowager Park’s older brother.
- Yang Kyung-won as Yoo Hyun-bo: an assistant section chief of the Ministry of Rites who will do anything for the sake of wealth and fame.
- Jo Sung-ha as Kim Jong-bae: Kim Myung-ha’s father who is the minister of military affairs.
- Son Hyun-joo as Kang Hang-sun: Kang Hee-soo’s father and Yi In’s teacher who is the Chief State Councillor.
Yi In’s people
- Kang Hong-seok as Joo Sang-hwa: Yi In’s royal guard.
- Park Ye-young as Court Lady Dong: Yi In’s lady-in-waiting who is surrounded by secrets.
- TBA as Ji Nam-gyu: a physician at naeuiwon.
- TBA as Eunuch Kim
Kang Hee-soo’s people
- Na Hyun-woo as Chu Dal-ha: Kang Hee-soo’s assistant who is a former military officer.
- Song Sang-eun as Ja Geun-nyeon: Kang Hee-soo’s friend and servant.
- Han Dong-hee as Hong-jang: and Kang Hee-soo’s friend and Yoo Hyun-bo’s sister who is a courtesan.
- Jung Seok-yong as Se-dong: a spy who has pure and upright personality.
- TBA as Jeom Yi-ne: Se-dong’s wife who is a spy.
- Kim Bo-yoon as Bun-young: an assistant court lady and a spy.
- TBA as Kim Je-nam: Kang Hang-sun’s old friend who is a former high-ranking local government official.
- Jang Young-nam as Royal Queen Dowager Park: Yi In’s biological mother.
- TBA as Royal Princess Jangryeong: eldest daughter of the late king Yi Seon and Yi In’s nephew.
- TBA as Grand Prince Moonseong: son of the late king Yi Seon and Yi In’s nephew.
- Ha Seo-yoon as Queen Oh: Yi In’s wife.
- Jeon Su-ji as Court Lady Han: Royal Queen Dowager Park’s lady-in-waiting
Members of the court
- Um Hyo-sup as Oh Wook-hwan: Queen Oh’s father.
- Baek Seok-gwang as Min Ji-hwan: Park Jong-hwan’s right-hand man.
- Kim Seo-ha as Min Sang-hyo: Kim Myung-ha’s friend and Min Ji-hwan’s younger brother.
- TBA as Jung Je-pyo: a Qing Dynasty official who serves as an interpreter.
- Ahn Si-ha as Queen Kim: Yi Seon’s wife