Poong, the Joseon Psychiatrist (Korean: 조선 정신과 의사 유세풍) is a South Korean television series starring Kim Min-jae in the title role, along with Kim Hyang-gi and Kim Sang-kyung.
DIRECTOR – Park Won-guk
WRITTEN BY – Park Seul-gi, Choi Min-ho, Lee Bom
GENRE – Historical, Medical, Comedy, Romance
EPISODES – 12
RELEASE DATE – August 1 –
September 6, 2022
NETWORK – tvN
Credit: Kdrama zone
FULL STORY BY KOMOVIESONLINE STAFF
Yoo Se-yeop (Kim Min-jae) a genius physician for the royal family is expelled from the capital after falling victim to a conspiracy.
He moves and begins work in the strange, but, beautiful, Gyesu Village.
There, Yoo Se-Poong meets Seo Eun-Woo (Kim Hyang-Gi) who hails from a noble family and has keen observational skills and deep empathy and Gye Ji-Han (Kim Sang-Kyung) Sorak Village’s grumpy old doctor with the heart of gold.
Upon the encounter with Yoo Se Poong, Kye Ji Han is motivated to transform the young doctor into one who heals hearts. Yoo Se-Poong develops into a doctor who treats a patients’ physical ailments and also their mental pains.
- Kim Min-jae as Yoo Se-yeop/Yoo Se-poong
- Born to a noble family, he becomes the head acupuncturist of the palace. When the King dies after he performs acupuncture on him, he is expelled from the palace and his own father is murdered. Traumatised by these events, he can no longer practice acupuncture and cannot sleep because of nightmares. After wandering around for a year, he arrives at Gyesu Village, where he gains the nickname ‘Poong’.
- Kim Hyang-gi as Seo Eun-woo
- A young widow who listens to the stories of those who are sick. She is the daughter of the magistrate of Sorak. Following her husband’s death on her wedding day, she was constantly bullied by her in-laws, which led her to attempt suicide multiple times. After being freed from her in-laws, she starts learning medicine at Gyesu Clinic in order to become a female physician.
- Kim Sang-kyung as Gye Ji-han
- The head of Gyesu Clinic. A geeky doctor and Yoo Se-poong’s ‘outside-of-the-box’ teacher. Though he appears to be greedy for money, he is a warm-hearted person who helps those in need.
- Ahn Chang-hwan as Man-bok
- Yoo Se-poong’s loyal servant who stays with him after his expulsion from the capital. Together they relocate to Gyesu Village after wandering around the countryside for a year.
- Jeon Guk-hyang as ‘Grandmother
- An old woman with dementia who mistakes Yoo Se-yeop for her son, Poong
- Yeon-Bora as Nam-hae
- The housekeeper and cook of Gyesu Clinic
- Kim Su-an as Ip-bun
- Gye Ji-han’s daughter
- Han Chang-min as Jang-goon
- An autistic boy in charge of the medicine warehouse of Gyesu Clinic
- Yoo Sung-joo as Cho Tae-ha
- The Left State Councillor. He controls the court and moves Joseon behind the king.
- Lee Seo-hwan as Shin Gwi-soo
- An ambitious physician in the royal court
- Oh Kyung-joo as the Crown Prince
- The Crown Prince, who becomes the King following his father’s death. He has a close relationship with Yoo Se-poong.
- Jung Won-chang as Cho Shin-woo
- A Royal Inspector from who grew up in Sorak, and the adopted son of Cho Tae-hak
- Kim Hak-sun as Seo Hyun-ryeong
- The magistrate of Sorak, and Seo Eun-woo’s father
- Kim Hyung-Mook as Im Soon-man
- A greedy nobleman in Sorak
- Ahn Nae-sang as the King (Ep. 1)
- Jang Hyun-sung as Minister Yoo Hoo-myung, Yoo Se-poong’s father (Ep. 1)
- Oh Dae-hwan as a palace physician (Ep. 1)
- Yoon Byung-hee as a tightrope-walker (Ep. 1)
- Kim Joo-ryoung as Seo Eun-woo’s mother-in-law (Ep. 1–3)
- Go Geon-han as Lee Ho-jun, Seo Eun-woo’s brother-in-law (Ep. 2–3)
- Lee Sang-yi as Kim Yun-gyeom, son of ‘Grandmother’ (Ep. 2)
- Jang Hee-ryung as Hyo-yeon, a noble lady (Ep. 4–5)
- Baek Seok-kwang as Gil-su, Hyo-yeon’s fiancé (Ep. 4–5)
- Moon Yong-il as Gaeban, Hyo-yeon’s servant (Ep. 4–5)
- Lee Ji-ha as Lord Jo’s wife. (Ep.5–6)
- Oh Han-gyeol as Seok-cheol, the illegitimate son of Lord Jo(Ep.5–6)
- Son Jong-hak as Lord Jo, Seok-cheol’s father. (Ep.5–6)
- Jung Ye-bin as Seok-cheol’s mother, and Lord Jo’s concubine(Ep.5–6)
- Kim Han-na as Jang Yoo-jeong, the daughter of a bookstore owner who married a poor nobleman (Ep.7)
- Ahn Sang-woo as Jang Yoo-jeong’s husband (Ep.7)
- Ji-eun as Heo, a woman involved with Jang Yoo-jeong’s husband (Ep.7)
- Park Jae-wan as Jeon Kyu-hyung, a teacher who was killed sometime in the past for unknown reasons. (Ep.8)
- Lee Kyu-hyun as Moo-yeong, an herbalist and Yeon-hwa’s lover (Ep.9)
- Jeon Hye-yeon as Yeon-hwa, a noble lady and Moo-yeong’s lover (Ep.9)
- Park Si-hyun as Heo, the wife of nobleman Choi Jam-pan (Ep.9)
- Park Se-hyun as Wol, a court lady from the Royal Kitchen (Ep.10–12)